The Adventure Travel Conservation Fund Funding Criteria
The ATCF’s mission is to protect threatened communities, cultures and wild places throughout the world for their cultural, habitat and recreational value. Our members are a diverse group of leading adventure travel and outdoor recreation businesses who share a common ethos and responsibility to protect the resources from which the adventure tourism industry benefits.
The ATCF will provide grants to organizations, other than governmental entities, outside Canada and United States, who seek funding for projects that support the ATCF mission and meet at least one of the following project criteria:
Criteria 1: Provide long-term protection of an environmental resource, wildland, waterway or threatened species
ATCF is funding this type of project to preserve the natural conditions and diversity of destinations which are critical to sustaining a viable/quality experience for travelers and outdoor recreationalists in perpetuity.
Criteria 2: Protect the cultural assets of a tourism destination such as language, traditional knowledge and historical sites
ATCF is funding this type of project because over time, many cultural assets are at risk of disappearing without any record. Preserving traditional knowledge, historical sites and native language is critical to ensuring that the authenticity and sense of place is maintained for future generations, and those visiting them. Additionally, investing in the preservation of cultural assets will provide an opportunity for local communities to build a sustainable tourism economy.
Criteria 3: Improve or create outdoor recreation infrastructure
ATCF is funding this type of project to sustain current and future growth of users, while preserving or improving the natural assets of the location
Criteria 4: support business development opportunities for projects which focus on the preservation of unique cultural and natural resources
ATCF funds projects that demonstrate a commitment to capacity building that directly support economic and social benefits for the community, while maintaining and embracing the local natural and cultural resources of the destination.
We prioritize projects that:
- Focus on long-term, lasting change
- Have a good chance of successful completion within a two-year period
- Have measurable outcomes and quantifiable impacts
- Articulate verifiable final success metrics
- Final success can be monitored and verified
- Are driven by local stakeholders
- Engage local community stakeholders
- Demonstrate grassroots citizen support
- Focus on addressing the root cause of the issue
- Establish verifiable project milestones
- Provide a clear benefit to the travel and outdoor industry, as well as the local community
- Incorporate sustainable tourism management practices
- Have an established relationship with an existing ATCF member
*Funding will be awarded based on:
- Projects that most closely align with the above criteria
- Available funding capacity for that grant cycle
- Membership voting preferences